I came up with this recipe for a cooking class I did a few weeks back. I love it because it’s fun flavor twist, is really delicious and super easy to make. I use our white cake mix as the base (which is gluten-free). The you add in all of the fantastic flavors of a margarita, and you’re good to go. This might just be the perfect Valentine’s dessert.
This recipe is really going to knock your socks off! It’s all of the deliciousness of a margarita in cake form. You can even customize it further by making it more or less boozy. Now, if I could only get it to fit in a glass!
You can also bake the cake in whatever pan you like. My personal favorite are the mini Bundt pans from Nordic Ware. You can also bake it in a 9 or 10-inch round pan, 11 x 7-inch glass Pyrex dish, or even cupcakes. The baking time will vary depending on the size of the pan you use.
The lime oil that I use in the recipe is amazing stuff! The brand is Boyajian, and the pure oil is made from pressed limes. It’s one of my favorite ways to add a punch of flavor to recipes, from baked goods to cocktails. Here’s a link to it on Amazon, and here is a link to their website. I don’t work for them, but I have been using and loving their oils and extracts for many, many years.
If you make it, be sure to tag me on Instagram (julieskitchenette and juliesoriginal).
Happy Valentine’s Day!
- 1 package of Julie’s Original White Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 cups soymilk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup safflower, canola or melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup gold tequila (preferably anejo or reposado)
- 1 teaspoon Boyajian lime oil or lime extract
- Zest of one lime
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch cake pan, 11 x 7-inch glass baking dish, or pan of choice.
- Cake: In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, non-dairy milk, oil, tequila, lime oil and zest, and whisk or beat until smooth.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 55 minutes (depending on the size of the pan you are using), or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool down a bit before glazing. You can glaze the cake when it’s still warm or completely cooled.
- Glaze: In a bowl using an electric mixer or a whisk, combine the powdered sugar, lime juice, tequila and zest and beat until smooth. Drizzle or brush the glaze over the cake.
- Gluten-Free + Vegan
- Copyright © 2016 Julie’s Original LLC