There’s nothing like a batch of warm cornbread straight from the oven, especially when it’s packed with garden-fresh vegetables and stone-ground cornmeal! Oh, and of course with a little cheese stirred in. And, it’s even better when that cornbread is also gluten-free and vegan, and baked in this fricken’ adorable vintage-inspired casserole dish (from Now Designs). I know, it’s killing me not to eat the whole batch, and decorate my entire kitchen with these casserole dishes! Plus I really want a dress in that awesome fox pattern: )
Anyway, I made this cornbread on TV this morning, and the video is below along with the recipe. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have been lately. You can vary the veggies how ever you like. You can also stir in a little fresh or dried herbs or ground pepper or diced jalapeños. Next time I’m going to add some dried dill into the mix.
I also want to give a shoutout to a couple of my favorite products that I used in this segment. First off, I only talk about things I love. There’s so many new vegan products out there, and I am always searching for the best of the best. For vegan cheeses, Follow Your Heart makes some of the best vegan cheeses out there. Seriously folks, there new varieties are game changers. Smoked Gouda, Pepperjack, Garden Veggie, Provolone, Parmesan and the cheddar shreds are fantastic! Also, So Delicious because it’s really so delicious! I adore their milks (especially their cashew and coconut milks), ice creams and my all time favorite, their CocoWhip! Also, the gluten-free flours from Bob’s Red Mill are really awesome too.
If you make the cornbread and photograph it (which I hope you do), please tag it with #julieskitchenette. I would love to see all of your gorgeous cornbread photos.
Thanks for coming by the blog!
- 3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill fine or medium grind yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill sweet sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch/flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup So Delicious cashew, coconut or almond milk
- 3 tablespoons canola, safflower or olive oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sweet corn, not thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup lightly packed chopped raw broccoli
- 1/2 cup halved mini plum or grape tomatoes
- About 1/2 cup shredded Follow Your Heart vegan cheese (any variety)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan, casserole dish or 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, sorghum flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the soymilk and oil to the flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Be careful not to over-mix the batter. Gently stir in the corn, onion, broccoli, tomatoes and cheese, if using.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the cornbread is nicely browned on top, and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Baking times may vary slightly depending on the pan you use.
- Remove the cornbread from oven and set aside to cool until ready to serve.
- Tip: Other than the corn, this recipe works best with fresh, raw vegetables.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, vegan
- Copyright © 2016 Julie Hasson