I came up with this recipe for a cooking class I did a few weeks back. I love it because it’s fun flavor twist, is really delicious and super easy to make. I use our white cake mix as the base (which is gluten-free). The you add in all of the fantastic flavors of a margarita, and you’re good to go. This might just be the perfect Valentine’s dessert.
This recipe is really going to knock your socks off! It’s all of the deliciousness of a margarita in cake form. You can even customize it further by making it more or less boozy. Now, if I could only get it to fit in a glass!
You can also bake the cake in whatever pan you like. My personal favorite are the mini Bundt pans from Nordic Ware. You can also bake it in a 9 or 10-inch round pan, 11 x 7-inch glass Pyrex dish, or even cupcakes. The baking time will vary depending on the size of the pan you use.
The lime oil that I use in the recipe is amazing stuff! The brand is Boyajian, and the pure oil is made from pressed limes. It’s one of my favorite ways to add a punch of flavor to recipes, from baked goods to cocktails. Here’s a link to it on Amazon, and here is a link to their website. I don’t work for them, but I have been using and loving their oils and extracts for many, many years.
If you make it, be sure to tag me on Instagram (julieskitchenette and juliesoriginal).
Happy Valentine’s Day!
This cake is delicious, and so much fun to serve at a party. You can up the booziness even further, by carefully poking holes in the warm cake with a skewer and drizzling another 3 tablespoons of tequila over top.
- 1 package of Julie’s Original White Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 cups soymilk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup safflower, canola or melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup gold tequila (preferably anejo or reposado)
- 1 teaspoon Boyajian lime oil or lime extract
- Zest of one lime
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch cake pan, 11 x 7-inch glass baking dish, or pan of choice.
- Cake: In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, non-dairy milk, oil, tequila, lime oil and zest, and whisk or beat until smooth.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 55 minutes (depending on the size of the pan you are using), or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool down a bit before glazing. You can glaze the cake when it’s still warm or completely cooled.
- Glaze: In a bowl using an electric mixer or a whisk, combine the powdered sugar, lime juice, tequila and zest and beat until smooth. Drizzle or brush the glaze over the cake.
- Gluten-Free + Vegan
- Copyright © 2016 Julie’s Original LLC