Horchata is so refreshing on hot summer days. The creamy, cinnamon kissed drink has always been one of my favorites. And thanks to my friend Somer McCowan and her fab new book THE ABUNDANCE DIET, we can now easily whip it up whenever the mood strikes!
I have been so excited waiting for Somer’s book to be released! It honestly couldn’t get here fast enough for me, which says a lot because if a book has the word diet in it, I will usually walk the other way. Not because I don’t find myself needing to watch what I eat periodically, but because I like to eat delicious food and don’t like feeling so restricted. I spent way too many years trying to stick to the latest diet when I was younger, always chasing “skinny.” This is what is so awesome about Somer’s book. Her recipes are totally delicious with just the right combo of comfort and flavor, and you don’t feel like you’re dieting at all. Better than that, they keep you full and satisfied!
Somer knows what she’s talking about. This is the diet plan that she used to reverse her own severe Ulcerative Colitis, and lose over 100 pounds. Her plan helps you lose weight quickly and safely, while feeling full and eating an abundance of whole plant-based foods. Plus you don’t have to count calories. Thats a win-win in my book!
The plan includes over 100 recipes (all gluten-free!) and is customizable to suit individual tastes. But the best part is that these healthy recipes are delicious. For me that’s what it is all about.
So, thanks to Somer and her publisher Vegan Heritage Press, I not only get to share the horchata recipe with you but I get to do a giveaway as well! Make sure to leave a comment telling me your favorite healthy snack. And don’t forget to leave a way for me to reach you should you win. Good luck!
- 2 tablespoons raw cashew pieces, or whole cashews, roughly chopped
- 2 to 4 soft medjool dates, pitted and snipped into bits
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a blender, combine the cashews, dates, water, and cinnamon. Blend the ingredients until completely smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Note: If you don’t have a high-speed blender, soak your cashews and dates in the 2 cups water in a pint mason jar for 2 to 4 hours before blending. (Recipe from The Abundance Diet, © 2015 by Somer McCowan. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press LLC.)