Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
On a scale of one to ten, ten being best this fried tofu recipe gets ten thumbs up!!! This is one of my family’s favorites. You can easily double it when you have large gatherings.
- Ingredients for frying tofu:
- 1 block firm tofu, rinsed
- Potato starch
- Tentsuyu Sauce
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Oil for deep-frying
- Ingredients for Tentsuyu Sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- About 1 tbsp nori shreds or flakes (or very thinly sliced nori)
- Frying Tofu Instructions
- On a cutting board, blot tofu with paper towels to absorb any extra moisture. Cut tofu into cubes. In a pie dish or large shallow bowl, add potato starch. Add tofu cubes, lightly rolling in starch to cover. Let sit several minutes while waiting for oil to heat.
- Fill a deep fryer or large pot with vegetable oil (at least 3 inches) and heat to 350-375°F. Working in batches, add tofu cubes to the hot oil, frying until puffed and just lightly golden, about 2 to 4 minutes. Drain tofu on paper towels until ready to serve. Serve tofu in a large bowl topped with the hot Tentsuyu Sauce and sliced scallions. Serve right away while the tofu is hot.
- Instructions for Tentsuyu Sauce
- In a saucepan, combine mirin, soy sauce, water and sugar and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in nori and pour over hot tofu.
- This recipe was inspired by a Hiroko Shimbo recipe, in her book The Japanese Kitchen, Harvard Common Press, 2000
- Copyright © 2006 Julie Hasson
- Category: Fried Tofu
- Cuisine: Asian