Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.comPrint
This recipe never disappoints. It is one of Bryanna Clark Grogan’s signature recipes and appears in most of her cookbooks. It’s perfect on nights you’re too busy to cook but still want something satisfying to chow down. I always have some extra-firm tofu slices marinating in the fridge.
- 1 and 1/2 to 2 lbs. extra-firm or pressed tofu (NOT silken tofu!) -NOTE: You can also do this with firm tofu, if you like it a bit softer
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried sage leaves, crumbled (or 2 T. fresh, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (or 1/2 T. fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1/2 T. fresh, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- To Pan-Fry: Simply cook the slices over medium heat in a good-quality nonstick skillet until golden brown on both sides.
- To Oven-Fry:Coat the slices in Seasoned Flour (below). Lay the slices in single layers on oiled DARK cookie sheets (they brown better), not touching. Bake at 400°F for about 15 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden. Turn the slices over and bake about 15 minutes more, or until the other side is golden. Cool on racks if not eating immediately. To Make Crispy Slices: (Bryanna’s favorite way) Coat the slices with Seasoned Flour (below). Heat about 1 T. of olive oil or neutral cooking oil in a heavy bottomed 10″ skillet over Medium heat (no hotter). When the oil is hot, add the slices and cook, watching carefully, until golden brown and crispy on the bottom. Turn the slices over and cook the other side until golden and crispy. The medium heat works really well when frying things crispy in less oil than usual (I used to do these in 1/4 c. oil at high heat).
- BRYANNA’S SEASONED FLOUR
- Keep some of this in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator– you’ll find many uses for it. Mix together 2 cups unbleached flour or whole wheat, or other wholegrain flour, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes, 1 teaspoon salt, and, optional, 1 teaspoon onion powder and freshly-ground black pepper to taste.
Copyright © Bryanna Clark-Grogan
BRYANNA’S “BREAST OF TOFU”
This recipe has appeared in all of Bryanna Clark Grogan’s books.
Makes 32 slices
I always have some extra-firm tofu slices marinating in the following mixture. They will keep refrigerated in the marinade for up to two weeks, ready for a quick and delicious meal. They can be pan-fried plain on a nonstick skillet, or coated with Seasoned Flour and shallow-fried to make a crispy “skin” that is delectable hot or cold. Serve them plain, in salads and sandwiches, or with any sauce that you would have used on chicken. Instead of slices, you can marinate chunks, for using in kebabs,etc.