Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Biscotti have been the hardest cookie to veganize until now. This recipe is a staple in our house and is guaranteed to please. Check it out, you’ll be glad you did.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1–1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1–1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 3/4 tsp orange oil or 1-1/2 tsp orange extract or 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Baking sheets lined with parchment paper
- In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, beat together sugar and applesauce until thickened. Add canola oil, vanilla, almond extract and orange oil, beating until blended. Add flour mixture, beating on low speed just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips, stirring just until mixed.
- Divide dough in half. Turn out dough onto prepared baking sheet. With lightly floured hands, shape each half into a log, flattening the tops slightly. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until dough is golden and almost firm to the touch. Remove the tray from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Transfer logs to a cutting board. Cut each log into slices. Place slices, upright, onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until lightly browned and toasted. The biscotti will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool. Let biscotti cool on baking sheet.
Copyright © 2009 Julie Hasson