Our white cake mix never ceases to amaze me! Seriously, I am constantly blown away with how easy it is to adapt into new flavor combinations. Take this cake for instance. I had some gorgeous organic pears that were starting to get really ripe, and a bag of cranberries in my freezer. I usually will stock up each Fall and fill my freezer with as many bags of cranberries as will fit. So right about now I’m trying to use up the remainder of the remaining cranberries. I had a feeling that pears and cranberries (and a little spice) would be delicious, but this has exceeded my expectations. Wow, this might just be my favorite cake of the moment! You need to try this recipe soon. Oh, and this recipe makes a 9 x 13 glass or metal pan, so it’s perfect for holiday parties and get-togethers!
If you are looking for a great Fall cake to bake, this is the one! It’s loaded with diced pears, cranberries, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- 1 package of Julie’s Original White Cake Mix
- 1 1/2 cups cup non-dairy milk (I used soy)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 ripe pears, peeled and cored, diced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
Simple Icing (optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- About 3 tablespoons soy or almond milk (can be plain or vanilla)
- Mix everything (except for the pears and cranberries) together in a bowl. Beat until smooth. Stir in the pears and cranberries. Spread the batter into a greased 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish. Bake the cake until a tester comes out clean (about 55 to 60 minutes). Let cool completely and enjoy!
- If you want to top the cooled cake with a glaze, like I did in the photo, make the icing below
- Combine the powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons milk in a bowl. Beat or whisk really well until the icing is smooth and thick, but spreadable. I like to use a hand mixer or beaters for this. Spread or drizzle the icing over the cooled cake and let sit until the glaze is set and hardened.
- Vegan + gluten-free