I am so excited to share this recipe! A couple of weeks back I was talking to a friend (thank you Joelle!), and she mentioned that she had made a chocolate cake out of our mix. To my surprise, she simply mixed our white cake and fudge brownie mixes together. What? Are you serious? After all this time, an amazing chocolate cake was right in front of me? So I ran to the kitchen and started experimenting.
I have tried this cake a couple of different times. It’s so delicious, but my favorite version was the last time I made it. That’s because I used strong brewed (and cooled) coffee for half of the milk. Yum! I’m going to post the recipe here, but I’ll be experimenting with it again this week, because it makes a huge cake. Seriously, we’re talking about a half sheet pan, Texas-size cake. So unless you are looking to make dessert for a crowd (and you may just be on occasion), I’m going to try using a half package of both mixes to make a single cake.
You are going to love this cake! Let me know if you give it a try.
- 1 package of Julie’s Original White Cake Mix
- 1 package of Julie’s Original Fudge Brownie Mix
- 1 1/2 cups of non-dairy milk
- 1 1/4 cups strong brewed coffee (room temp)
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a half sheet pan and if desired, line with parchment paper and grease again. This will make the cake easier to remove from the pan after baking.
- In a mixer bowl combine the cake and brownie mixes, milk, coffee, oil and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Mix in the chocolate chips. Spread the batter into pan, and bake until a tester comes out clean. Let cool completely and enjoy!
- Makes one half sheet pan (greased well) or two 9 x 11-inch pans or about 30 cupcakes or two very thick 9-inch layers.
- Vegan + gluten-free