Bryanna Clark Grogan is a favorite visitor to Everyday Dish TV. You can visit her at Bryanna Clark Grogan’s Vegan Feast Kitchen/21st Century Table.
Bryanna Clark Grogan’s gelato is lower in fat than so-called “premium” ice creams. You can use the basic recipe to make up your own favorite flavors of gelati or regular old North American-style “nice cream”.
- MIXTURE #1:
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light or white corn syrup (can be organic) OR brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- MIXTURE #2:
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup soy, almond or rice milk (can be reduced-fat)
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces (if allergic to nuts, use 1/4 c. more “milk” and 1/4 c. oil)
- 1/2 cup grade A maple syrup white beet sugar
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch or instant tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Blend Mixture #1 in the blender, then set aside in a measuring cup.
- Blend Mixture #2 in the blender until very smooth and frothy (make sure that it doesn’t feel grainy). Place this mixture in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan and stir over medium-high heat until thickened. OR (MICROWAVE OPTION) place the mixture in a large microwave-proof bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes; whisk; cook 2 minutes more; whisk; and cook 1 minute more.
- Whisk Mixture #1 into cooked Mixture #2. Chill the gelato mixture and then freeze according to directions for your ice cream machine. Scoop into a quart plastic container, cover and freeze for several hours before serving.
- © Copyright 2005 Bryanna Clark-Grogan