Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Granola the way you like it! Toasted to perfection. Lot’s of room for improvising with your favorite add ons. Better than store bought.
- 5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup raw almonds or hazelnuts, coarsely chopped, optional
- 3/4 cup millet
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 3/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, or to taste
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1–2 cups dried cherries, raisins or other dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- In a very large bowl, mix together the oats, nuts, millet, oat bran, wheat germ, brown sugar and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, whisk together the apple juice, maple syrup, brown rice syrup and canola oil. Add to the dry mixture, mixing until combined and oat mixture is well coated.
- Spread this mixture out on two parchment-lined baking sheets and bake in preheated oven for anywhere from 20 to 50 minutes (depending on your oven), gently tossing granola several times during baking. You don’t want the granola to burn or get too brown. Although the granola might seem a little soft when you remove it from the oven, it will crisp-up once it cools.
- Let the granola cool completely on the baking sheets. Once cool, stir in the dried fruit and store in an airtight container.
- Copyright © 2009 Julie Hasson