I made these delish veggie fries this morning on AM Northwest. Crispy and crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. So, so good! But before I share the recipe and video, I have to tell you about my newest obsession… The air fryer!! And not just any old air fryer but the GoWise USA air fryer! I’m seriously obsessed and use it multiple times a day. You can make healthier versions of all your favorite fried foods! Seriously it’s amazing and I can’t stop air frying!
Since I’ve been using the air fryer every day, I’ve discovered a few tricks along the way. One of my favorites is using the VeganEgg from Follow Your Heart, which is like magic for getting your crispy coating to stay put. This is seriously one of the best tricks I’ve learned. I simply whisk the VeganEgg with water and a little nutritional yeast flakes and that’s it. I’ve also found that it gives your food more flavor than using a non-dairy milk and starch slurry.
Also, because GoWise USA is so awesome, they are letting me do an air fryer giveaway with the ones I used on TV this morning! Yes seriously! And not just one but two of them!!
For this particular giveaway it’s only open for those in the Portland, Oregon area. So lucky you that live in Portland, because all you have to do is leave a comment below telling me what food or recipe you really want to air fry. You also need to make sure you’ve left your email so that I can reach you if you won. The giveaway is now over and 2 winners have been chosen. Thank you so much to everyone who entered!
Now for the recipe and video. Feel free to use any veggies you like. My favorites so far are green beans, cauliflower and zucchini. Have fun with the dipping sauces too. I’m partial to the Zaatar mayo, but anything goes here. Let me know if you make the fries. I’d love to see your photos! Use the hashtag #julieskitchenette.Print
This is a fun and delicious twist on traditional French fries, and you can use so many different vegetables! If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake them in your oven.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (gluten-free or regular)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes, divided
- 2 tablespoons Follow Your Heart VeganEgg powder*
- 2/3 cup cold water
- Salt and pepper
- Assorted veggies of choice, cut into bite size chunks or French fry shapes (such as cauliflower, green beans, sweet onions, zucchini or squash)
- Set up 3 shallow dishes on the counter: Place the rice flour in one dish. In the next dish whisk together the VeganEgg powder, 1 tablespoon of the nutritional yeast flakes and 2/3 cup water. Whisk until smooth. In the last dish, mix together the panko bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast and a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Working with one veggie fry at a time, dip in the rice flour, then VeganEgg mixture, then breadcrumb mixture, pressing to set coating. Make as many veggie fries as you like.
- Lightly spray the basket of the air fryer (or a parchment lined baking sheet). If using the baking sheet you’ll need to use more oil. Carefully place the veggie fries in the basket, give them a quick mist of oil and set the fryer at 380°F for 8 minutes, or until golden and crispy. If baking these in the oven, preheat the oven to 425°F and bake for about 15 minutes or until the fries are golden brown and crispy.
Serve the fries while they are hot and crispy, with a dipping sauce of choice. Here are some of my favorites
- Organic ketchup
- Sriracha Mayo: Mayo mixed with a Sriracha to taste
- Zaatar Mayo: Mayo mixed with dry zaatar seasoning
- Vegan Blue cheese dressing
- Sriracha Ketchup: Ketchup mixed with Sriracha sauce to taste
- Copyright 2016 Julie Hasson
- GoWiseUSA Air fryer
- *VeganEgg is made by Follow Your Heart
- Vegan and can be gluten-free with GF panko
Disclosure: I received a free sample of VeganEgg and the air fryer giveaway is curtesy of GoWise USA. No compensation was exchanged for this review, and the love for these products that I posted here are entirely my own. This post also contains Amazon affiliate links. That means when you buy something through the links (at no cost to you), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your support!