This is a fun and delicious twist on traditional French fries, and you can use so many different vegetables! If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake them in your oven.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (gluten-free or regular)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes, divided
- 2 tablespoons Follow Your Heart VeganEgg powder*
- 2/3 cup cold water
- Salt and pepper
- Assorted veggies of choice, cut into bite size chunks or French fry shapes (such as cauliflower, green beans, sweet onions, zucchini or squash)
- Set up 3 shallow dishes on the counter: Place the rice flour in one dish. In the next dish whisk together the VeganEgg powder, 1 tablespoon of the nutritional yeast flakes and 2/3 cup water. Whisk until smooth. In the last dish, mix together the panko bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast and a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Working with one veggie fry at a time, dip in the rice flour, then VeganEgg mixture, then breadcrumb mixture, pressing to set coating. Make as many veggie fries as you like.
- Lightly spray the basket of the air fryer (or a parchment lined baking sheet). If using the baking sheet you’ll need to use more oil. Carefully place the veggie fries in the basket, give them a quick mist of oil and set the fryer at 380°F for 8 minutes, or until golden and crispy. If baking these in the oven, preheat the oven to 425°F and bake for about 15 minutes or until the fries are golden brown and crispy.
Serve the fries while they are hot and crispy, with a dipping sauce of choice. Here are some of my favorites
- Organic ketchup
- Sriracha Mayo: Mayo mixed with a Sriracha to taste
- Zaatar Mayo: Mayo mixed with dry zaatar seasoning
- Vegan Blue cheese dressing
- Sriracha Ketchup: Ketchup mixed with Sriracha sauce to taste
- Copyright 2016 Julie Hasson
- GoWiseUSA Air fryer
- *VeganEgg is made by Follow Your Heart
- Vegan and can be gluten-free with GF panko