This delicious spread is a staple to the vegan diet and it takes only moments to prepare. The recipe … comes direct from the PCRM’s Handbook.
- 1 Can garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame butter)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers (optional)
- Drain garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid from the can, and rinse the beans.
- Place all the ingredients except the reserved bean liquid in food processor and process until smooth. Add reserved bean liquid as needed for a smoother consistency.
- Spread on whole-wheat pita bread or serve as a dip for vegetables.
Recipe by PCRM dietician Jennifer K. Reilly, R.D., from The Survivor’s Handbook, Eating Right For Cancer Survival.
For more information on The Cancer Project, visit www.cancerproject.org
Copyright © 2008 Julie Hasson