Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
When you want a quick weeknight meal that will make your taste buds sing, this is your dish. It also makes an excellent dish for dinner guests, omni or veg. Although you might be tempted to substitute brown rice, this dish comes out best with long grain white rice.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into crescents
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed, pressed or minced
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 vegetarian sausages (preferably the Smoky Links, Chorizo or Italian Sausages from Everyday Dish), sliced
- 1 1/4 cups of long grain white rice (un-rinsed)
- 1 1/2 cups drained canned diced tomatoes (preferably organic)
- 2 cups veggie broth or hot water with 1 vegetarian bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, optional to taste
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch Oven or heavy pot with a lid over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, peppers, celery and sausage and sauté until lightly browned and slightly softened. Add rice and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, broth, Cajun seasoning and paprika, stirring well.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low (or low, depending on your stove), cover pot and simmer about 30 minutes, or until rice is tender and most of liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove pot from heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Serve.
Copyright © 2014 Julie Hasson