Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
This salad is a nutritional powerhouse, perfect for weekday lunches, light dinners or your next potluck or BBQ.
- 4 cups cooked barley, cooled
- 1 1/2 cups edamame, cooked according to package directions
- 3/4 cup sliced scallions
- 4 tablespoons drained capers
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 large tomato, diced or 1 carton tiny grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice 1/2 large lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tablespoon caper juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together the barley, edamame, scallions, capers, parsley, tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and caper juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- For added variety, add drained and chopped marinated artichoke hearts.
*To cook barley in a rice cooker: In bowl of rice cooker, combine 1 1/2 cups rinsed pearled barley and 3 cups water. Cook on white rice setting.
Copyright © 2009 Julie Hasson