Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Mock Chopped Liver This is a favorite snack of mine. I love to serve it with toasted baguette slices or piled on a sandwich.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 5 cups sliced mushrooms, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp agave nectar or sugar
- 1 cup walnuts
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- A small splash of Marsala or brandy
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and onions, and sauté until onions are softening and becoming translucent. Sprinkle sugar over mixture, and continue to cook until onions are caramelized, reducing heat as necessary so that onions don’t burn. Remove skillet from heat.
- In bowl of food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse the walnuts until they are finely chopped. Add the mushroom mixture and blend until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate mushroom mixture until ready to serve.
- Copyright © 2006 Julie Hasson
- Category: Appetiser
- Cuisine: Vegan