Brian and Crystal and their daughter Skye are from the Hawaiian islands. They bring to you a taste of their cooking style that reflects their island roots. Follow Brian at The Maui Vegetarian.
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp annatto
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped include leaves
- 1 12 oz can tomatosauce
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup elbow macaroni cooked
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- fresh oregano chopped
- salt to taste
- 3 potatoes cubed
- Heat oil in a sauté pan then add annatto. Simmer until oil is infused with flavor and color. Strain then add to stock pot.
- Sauté garlic, onion, bell pepper, celery and cilantro in infused oil until softened.
- Add tomato sauce and water stirring well to combine. Simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Add in the kidney beans, macaroni and potatoes and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Add in salt and oregano. Simmer until potatoes are nearly soft.
- Serve in your favorite soup bowls!
Copyright Brian Igarta, The Maui Vegetarian
- Category: Soup