Freddy Guys is a family-run hazelnut orchard in Oregon’s mid-Willamette Valley. We are a direct-to-consumer farm specializing in fresh hazelnuts and hazelnut products. We are owned and operated by Barb and Fritz Foulke and assisted by the whole family throughout the year. Everyone pitches in at harvest!
Barb Faulke of Freddy Guys Hazelnuts showed us how to make this soup and we can’t stop eating it.
- 1/2 cube Earth Balance, or other non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely minced garlic
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 4 ounces hazelnut butter
- 4 cups veggie broth
- Juice of 1 medium lime
- 1/2 tsp chili sauce, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Thinly sliced chives or scallions for garnish, optional
- Melt the margarine in a large pot. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until onions are soft and caramelized. Whisk in the pumpkin and hazelnut butter.
- Whisk in the broth, limejuice, chili sauce and salt. Using a stick blender, puree soup until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve soup hot, with a sprinkle of chives for garnish.