Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Red bean ice cream is delicious, and a perfect summertime dessert. Look for sweetened red bean paste in the refrigerated section of Asian markets.
- 2 cups soymilk –not lowfat or non-fat (I used vanilla), chilled
- 1 cup coconut milk, chilled
- 1 cup sweetened red bean paste, chilled
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp Instant Clearjel
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- In jar of blender, combine soymilk, coconut milk and bean paste, blending until mixture is ultra smooth. If your blender won’t hold that much liquid, blend together just the coconut milk and red bean paste together first (blending very well).
- In a small bowl, mix together the Instant Clearjel and sugar, mixing well. With the blender on low speed, add the sugar mixture and blend again until very smooth.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Serve right away, or transfer to a covered container and freeze until ready to serve. This ice cream is best served the same day that it is made.
- To reduce processing time in ice cream maker, make sure that your ingredients are well chilled.
Tip: If your blender has a limited capacity, blend together just the coconut milk and red bean paste together, blending until mixture is super-smooth. Proceed with the rest of the recipe, and whisk the soymilk into the thickened coconut red bean mixture at the end.
Copyright © 2009 Julie Hasson