Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
This easy recipe makes such a delicious and refreshing dessert. It’s only lightly gelled, making it the sophisticated cousin to the jelled desserts of our childhood.
- 1 cup red wine, preferably Merlot or cabernet
- 1 cup orange juice, preferably fresh squeezed
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup organic sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp agar powder
- In a saucepan, combine red wine, orange juice, sugar and agar powder, whisking until everything is blended. Let sit 5 minutes for agar to soften.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally. Let simmer for 2 minutes to completely dissolve agar, whisking periodically. Remove from heat.
- Pour hot juice mixture into small glass bowls or canning jars. Let cool for 20 minutes on counter and then refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- If desired, top each dish of gelée with sliced fresh strawberries or summer fruit.
Variation: If you prefer a slightly firmer gel, increase the agar powder to 3/4 teaspoon. If you want fruit in your gelée, once juice mixture is halfway thickened, stir in diced peaches or canned Mandarin oranges.
Copyright © 2009 Julie Hasson