Derek Hanson at Nutshell strived to serve the freshest produce in the most imaginative way. This recipe will not disappoint!
- 2 bunches fresh chard or kale, washed and torn into big pieces
- 1 cup champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 cup dried bing cherries
- 3 tbsp minced ginger
- Olive or grapeseed oil
- To make the gastrique:
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a medium non-reactive saucepan and bring to a simmer. Once the sugar is dissolved, add the ginger and cherries and let cool at room temperature. The mixture should be thick and syrupy.
- For the chard:
- Heat a large sauté pan until it almost smokes. Add your chard first, and then drizzle in a little oil as needed. Quickly stir the chard and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes until the chard is slightly wilted. Serve with the gastrique on top.
- This is also wonderful served on top of creamy polenta.
- Copyright © 2008 Derek Hanson