I make this skillet pie year-round, not only because it absolutely delicious, but also because it’s so easy to make. For beautiful (and well-priced) frozen berries, look at warehouse stores like Costco.
- 5 cups frozen mixed berries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, or to taste
- 1/4 cup plus 5 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp non-hydrogenated margarine (such as Earth Balance), melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- -inch glass or ceramic pie plate, 10-inch cast iron or ovenproof skillet
- Filling: In a saucepan, combine blueberries, sugar and 1/4 cup water. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together corn and 5 tablespoons water until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture into hot berries and simmer until thick and mixture is clear, carefully stirring.
- Remove saucepan from heat and scoop mixture into prepared dish.
- Topping: In a small bowl, mix together flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add melted margarine, stirring until incorporated. Using your fingertips, work margarine into flour mixture, squeezing until nice and crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping over blueberry filling and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until topping is nicely browned.
Copyright © 2014 Julie Hasson
- Category: Dessert