Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
These spring rolls are fresh and delicious, and can be customized any way you like. Feel free to add in different fillings, or tailor the ones that we have here. You can make just a couple of these as an appetizer, or make a bunch and serve them for dinner or for your next party.
- About 8 ounces package rice or bean thread vermicelli
- Sautéed tofu cubes or sticks (see recipe on Everyday Dish for Easy Pan Fried Tofu)
- 1 package Round rice or tapioca wrappers (6.5 inch diameter)
- Carrot, julienned
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh mint Leaves
- Finely minced lime (including skin), optional
- Toasted coconut
- Toasted and chopped hazelnuts, almonds or peanuts
- Hot water as needed
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- Sriracha sauce, to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine vermicelli and boiling water. Let soak until noodles are soft and pliable. Drain, and rinse with cold water.
- Place a lightly dampened dish towel on a flat work surface. Fill a large shallow bowl (such as a deep dish pie plate) with hot water. Dip one rice wrapper in the hot water for several seconds, or until just barely softened. Wrapper should still feel a little crisp, but it will continue to soften as it sits and will feel a little rubbery. Remove and place on towel. Lay wrapper flat, and place desired amounts of noodles, tofu, herbs, coconut and lime and nuts (or whichever fillings you’re using), centered in the bottom third of the wrapper. Roll the edges of the wrapper slightly inward. Beginning at the bottom edge of wrapper, tightly wrap the ingredients. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Place finished rolls seam side down on a plate or platter. Cover with lightly wet lettuce leaves or a slightly damp towel to keep them from drying out.
- In a small bowl, mix together the peanut butter, hot water and hoisin sauce until smooth and creamy. Add sriracha sauce to taste. Serve the spring rolls with the dipping sauce.
- Category: Spring Rolls