Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Sangria is a refreshing warm weather beverage, perfect for entertaining or back yard barbecues. It looks beautiful served in a clear glass crock or pitcher. If you don’t have any frozen strawberries, substitute frozen raspberries or peaches. For an extra special treat, spoon the macerated fruit from the sangria over vanilla ice cream.
- 1 bottle red wine, chilled (such as merlot, zinfindel, cabernet or burgundy)
- 1/4 sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 bag of frozen strawberries (or 1 pint fresh, washed & halved)
- 1/2 to 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen fruit, such as peaches, grapes or nectarines, optional
- Juice from 1/2 orange
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 orange or lemon, sliced
- 1 –12 oz cans of chilled Sprite
In a large pitcher combine the wine and 1/2 cup sugar. Stir well. Add the strawberries, fresh or frozen fruit, orange juice, lemon juice and the sliced orange. Pour in the Sprite, mixing gently. Taste for sweetness, adding more sugar if desired. Serve chilled.
*Note: if making the sangria ahead of time, do not add the Sprite until right before serving. Recipe can be doubled.