Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
Please check out more from Susan Viosin
at her blog Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.
Today we present Susan’s BBQ’ed Rib”z without the meat. Tasty honest to goodness deliciousness! We make this all the time.
You’ll be amazed at how easy this recipe comes together using your favorite bottled sauce.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter, tahini or other nut butter
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- about 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with canola oil. Mix the first 5 ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix the water with the nut butter, Liquid Smoke, and soy sauce and add it to the dry ingredients. Stir to mix well and then knead lightly in the bowl for a couple of minutes.
- Put the dough into the baking dish and flatten it so that it evenly fills the pan. Take a sharp knife and cut it into 8 strips; then turn the pan and cut those strips in half to form 16 pieces.
- Put it in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. While it’s cooking prepare your grill pan or grill.
- Remove it from the oven and carefully re-cut each strip, going over each cut to make sure that the ribz will pull apart easily later. Generously brush the top with barbecue sauce. Take it to the grill pan or grill and invert the whole baking dish onto the grill (or use a large spatula to lift the seitan out, placing it sauce-side down on the grill). Brush the top of the seitan with more sauce.
- Watch it closely to make sure that it doesn’t burn. When sufficiently brown on one side, turn over and cook the other side, adding more sauce, if necessary. When done, remove to a platter and cut or pull apart the individual ribs to serve.
Copyright © 2007 Susan Voisin and Fatfree Vegan Kitchen. All rights reserved.