Making dessert doesn’t get much easier than this. Be sure to use a 6-quart (or larger) cooker as this gets very foamy, which can clog the vent or cause spewing liquid in a smaller pot. Make a double batch if you have enough room; it’s that good.
- ½ cup small pearl (not instant) tapioca
- 2 cups almond or any nondairy milk
- Pinch of salt, optional
- ¼ cup organic sugar or blonde coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh berries of your choice, sliced as needed
- Fresh mint, for garnish
- Place the tapioca pearls in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under running water for 30 seconds.
- Add the milk to a pressure cooker. Add the tapioca and salt, if using, and stir. Lock on the lid. Bring to high pressure; cook for 4 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally. Quick release any remaining pressure after 20 minutes. Open the lid carefully, tilting it away from you.
- Stir in the sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons berries into the bottom of 4 pretty bowls or parfait glasses. Add about ¼ cup tapioca, then 3 tablespoons berries. Add another ¼ cup tapioca and top with berries. Garnish with mint.
- Variation: If stone fruits are in season, substitute chopped stone fruit for the berries.