These soft gluten-free + vegan buns are perfect for your favorite burgers or sandwiches!
348 grams Julie’s Original GF Flour Blend
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1 tablespoon golden flax meal (can use regular flax meal)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon Pomona’s Pectin
1 3/4 cups very warm water (105° to 110°F)
3 tablespoons agave
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sesame seeds, optional
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine the flour blend, yeast, flax, sea salt, xanthan gum, and pectin, whisking until well mixed.
- In a large bowl or measuring cup, combine the water, agave, and olive oil, whisking well. Add the water mixture to the flour mixture in the stand mixer, and beat on medium high for 1 to 2 minutes, until you have a thick, sticky batter. It’s important to beat the batter this long to activate the xanthan gum.
- If using a large round muffin pan, grease each round well. If not using the bun molds, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease well. Using a large scoop, place 6 rounded mounds/scoops (that should be all of the batter) on the prepared pan. Sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds, if desired, and top loosely with a well-greased piece of plastic wrap. You don’t want it tight or it can restrict the rising of the dough. Set aside to rise for 30 minutes. It’s really important not to let them rise any longer for this recipe (the tops will kind of break and crack apart, and the texture isn’t as perfect).
- While the buns are rising, preheat your oven to 350°F. If you have a convection setting on your oven, use it.
- Carefully remove the plastic wrap from the buns. Place the buns in the preheated oven and bake for about 25 to 35 minutes, or until the buns are nicely golden and an instant-read thermometer registers 200°F or above. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing to a rack to cool. For the best texture, try to hold off slicing the buns until they’ve cooled for about 20 minutes. Slicing into the buns while they are too hot can create a gummy texture. If not using the buns that day, freeze them until ready to use.
Keywords: vegan, gluten-free, gluten-free burger buns, Julie's Original, Julie Hasson, gluten-free baking