Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles.
Sometimes there’s nothing like a great gravy to liven up a dish, and this gravy is just the one to do it! Don’t be surprised if you find yourself putting it on everything from toast to biscuits to veggie + grain bowls.
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or GF oat flour
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup plain unsweetened soymilk
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated vegan margarine
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the nutritional yeast flakes, all-purpose flour and chickpea flour. Add 2 cups water, whisking well until smooth. Whisk in the soy sauce, soymilk salt and peppers.
- Bring mixture to a simmer over medium to medium high heat, whisking continuously. Cook until gravy is thickened to desired consistency, whisking continuously, about 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in the margarine, adding additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve gravy right away while hot.
Recipe adapted from Vegan Diner, by Julie Hasson, 2011, Running Press