You will want to drizzle this chocolate sauce on everything! Try it stirred into hot non-dairy milk, drizzled over ice cream or just eaten off a spoon. It’s the same chocolate sauce that we serve at our food cart (drizzled on top of chocolate cakes). The sauce will last in your fridge at least a week or two, ready to go the next time a chocolate craving hits.
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Instant Clearjel
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup Dutch Process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a large pot, whisk together the brown sugar and Instant Clearjel until you can’t see any traces of the Instant Clearjel. Start whisking the sugar mixture as you add in the water. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in the corn syrup.
- Over medium heat, bring mixture to a simmer, and simmer for several minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the cocoa powder. Return the pot to the stove and bring to a simmer again. Simmer mixture for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Whisk in the vanilla and let cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to use. If the sauce isn’t completely smooth, you can smooth it out with a stick blender once it’s cooled down and isn’t so hot.
Tip: I like to store this sauce in a large glass canning jar with a screw-top lid.
Copyright © 2011 Julie Hasson