I have been working on this burger recipe for the last couple of weeks. We thoroughly enjoyed the recipe testing for this one, and in the name of science, ate every one of the test burgers! There’s a love affair going on with these babies!
I created this for a TV segment that I did this morning on AM Northwest. I love to show how amazing vegan (and gluten-free) food can be, and especially for occasions like the 4th of July. There are so many delicious things to grill like burgers, sausages, portobello mushrooms, and corn on the cob, to name a few! Plus just think of all the amazing side dishes too. Potato salad, pasta salads, green salads, and more.
If you love burgers and a bit of spice, then these are your burgers! They’re stuffed with a roasted chili and cheddar mixture, then grilled and topped with a chipotle sauce, more roasted chilies, and sliced tomato and onion. They are amazing, and if I had a restaurant, they would be on the regular menu every day. I am so happy that the Beyond Meat Burgers and sausages are gluten-free, so that everyone can enjoy them! Seriously, as someone who is gluten-free and vegan, my burger and sausage choices are slim to none.
I hope that you enjoy these burgers, and would love to hear if you make these!
p.s. If you don’t have a grill, my favorite way to cook them is a Lodge cast iron skillet or griddle. The pan sears the burgers perfectly! And the super cool blender I used is this one from Vitamix, which has different blending jars and containers for it.
These burgers are out of this world good! No one will miss the meat, I promise. If you need to make them gluten-free, make sure to use gluten-free buns and check to check that your canned chipotles don’t contain wheat flour (some do).
8 ounces vegan mayo
3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
3-4 cloves garlic
A couple pinches sea salt, or to taste
2 packages Beyond Meat Beyond Burgers
1 7-ounce can roasted whole green chilies, drained*
1/4 cup shredded vegan cheddar
1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed and thinly sliced, optional
4 hamburger buns (gluten-free if necessary)
Optional toppings: Sliced tomato, red onion, and additional cheddar cheese if desired
- Chipotle Sauce: In a blender jar, combine the mayo, chipotle peppers, nutritional yeast flakes, smoked paprika, garlic and a couple pinches of salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of diced chilies, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar and a little sliced jalapeno if using.
- Burgers: Divide each burger in half and pat into a flat round. Place 1 tablespoon of chili cheese mixture in center and top with the other flattened burger half. Gently pinch edges together and shape back into a patty. Repeat with remaining burgers.
- Cook burgers on a hot barbecue or preheated, lightly greased cast iron skillet (over medium high heat. You’ll want to cook the burgers for 3 minutes per side. Place each burger on a bottom bun and top with a roasted chile, chipotle sauce, a slice of tomato, red onion, and the top half of the bun. Repeat with remaining burgers and serve right away.
- *Alternately you can get a larger can roasted chilies and dice two of them for the diced chilies.