These burgers are out of this world good! No one will miss the meat, I promise. If you need to make them gluten-free, make sure to use gluten-free buns and check to check that your canned chipotles don’t contain wheat flour (some do).
8 ounces vegan mayo
3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
3–4 cloves garlic
A couple pinches sea salt, or to taste
2 packages Beyond Meat Beyond Burgers
1 7-ounce can roasted whole green chilies, drained*
1/4 cup shredded vegan cheddar
1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed and thinly sliced, optional
4 hamburger buns (gluten-free if necessary)
Optional toppings: Sliced tomato, red onion, and additional cheddar cheese if desired
- Chipotle Sauce: In a blender jar, combine the mayo, chipotle peppers, nutritional yeast flakes, smoked paprika, garlic and a couple pinches of salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of diced chilies, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar and a little sliced jalapeno if using.
- Burgers: Divide each burger in half and pat into a flat round. Place 1 tablespoon of chili cheese mixture in center and top with the other flattened burger half. Gently pinch edges together and shape back into a patty. Repeat with remaining burgers.
- Cook burgers on a hot barbecue or preheated, lightly greased cast iron skillet (over medium high heat. You’ll want to cook the burgers for 3 minutes per side. Place each burger on a bottom bun and top with a roasted chile, chipotle sauce, a slice of tomato, red onion, and the top half of the bun. Repeat with remaining burgers and serve right away.
- *Alternately you can get a larger can roasted chilies and dice two of them for the diced chilies.