Brian P.McCarthy is a very creative and talented professional chef. He has written a few cookbooks. You can find out more about his adventures by visiting his blog.
Chef Brian McCarthy presents No Knead to knead corned beef! Incredibly easy to assemble and the result is out of this world. You gotta try this at home.
- 1 gallon water (to boil loaf)
- Dry Ingredients
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten flour
- 2 Tbs. granulated onion
- 2 Tbs. paprika
- 2 Tbs. whole fennel seed (coarsely ground)
- 2 Tbs. whole caraway seed (coarsely ground)
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Wet Ingredients
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs. molasses
- 1 Tbs. vinegar
- Cheese cloth (one double thick 24-inch by 16-inch piece)
- 2 – 6-inch pieces of string
- ) In a large pot, bring 1 gallon of water to a simmer.
- ) In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten, onion powder, paprika, fennel, caraway, salt, cloves and black pepper.
- ) In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable broth, oil, molasses, and vinegar.
- ) Combine wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- ) Form into a 5-inch by 8-inch loaf that will be about 1_ -inches thick.
- ) Place corned beef loaf on cheese cloth and roll-up like a big flat rectangle tootsie roll (not to tight). Tie each end with a piece of string.
- ) Place in simmering water, cover, and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- ) Take roast out of liquid and remove cheese cloth. Serve warm or place in refrigerator to make sandwiches with later.
- Copyright © 2006 Brian P. McCarthy
- Category: Seitan
- Cuisine: Vegan Sandwich Meats