This sauce makes the best mac and cheese when you toss it with cooked macaroni! It’s also good on sandwiches (in place of mayo) or in any dish where you want a smoky creamy sauce.
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened soy milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted cashews, soak if you don’t have a high-powdered blender
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 to 3 teaspoons liquid smoke, to taste
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil (not refined)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vegan lactic acid
- 3 to 4 tablespoons E-Z Gel or Instant Clearjel, depending how thick you want it
In a blender jar, add the soy milk, water, cashews, nutritional yeast flakes, 2 to 3 teaspoons liquid smoke (it depends how smoky you want it), melted coconut oil, liquid aminos, salt, and lactic acid. Blend until super smooth and there are no bits of cashews. With the blender running on low speed, carefully add 3 tablespoons of the instant thickener through the top of the blender. Increase speed to high and blend for 10 seconds to mix. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes and blend well until smooth. If you’re sauce is not thick enough, add another tablespoon of thickener and blend again until smooth.