Julie Hasson is the author of 9 cookbooks, including 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes, 125 Best Chocolate Recipes, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes and 300 Best Chocolate Recipes, Vegan Diner, Vegan Pizza and Vegan Casseroles. You can visit julie at www.juliehasson.com
This delicious recipe was created by the uber-talented Bryanna Clark Grogan. It’s almost non-fat, a perfect topping for fresh berries, chocolate cake or even pie. It does require a special ingredient to make it, and that is Versawhip 600K (and also xanthan gum). There are other versions of Versawhip available, but the 600K is the only vegan one, and the only one I’ve worked with. You can order the Versawhip online, which is where I get it as well. Make the whipped topping right before you plan on serving it, as it will only stay fluffy for a short while, and will then start to deflate. Simply put it back in your stand mixer and whip again on high speed.
- 1 cup plain or vanilla soymilk or other non-dairy milk (do not use coconut milk, as the fat will prevent the Versawhip from whipping), divided
- 2 ¼ tablespoons Versawhip 600K
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract or paste
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together half of the soymilk along with the Versawhip.
- When it’s well mixed, whisk in the xanthan gum.
- Whisk in the rest of the soymilk, plus the vanilla, lemon juice and powdered sugar, until well mixed.
- Using the whisk attachment, beat the mixture on high speed until it’s super fluffy and has the consistency of whipped cream.
- Serve right away and enjoy!
Copyright © 2011 Bryanna Clark Grogan