I am so excited to be a stop on the blog tour of Bacon*ish, a brand new book by Leinana Two Moons. This book is so fun, and filled with recipes for all kinds of plant-based smoky deliciousness from 14 different kinds of bacon (think carrot, mushroom, coconut, jackfruit and more) to BLTS, Bacon Mac & Cheese, salads, soups, desserts and more! Seriously, think vegan Maple Bacon Doughnuts, Coconut Panna Cotta, Grilled Bacon Kim-Cheese or Bacon Cinnamon Rolls are out of your reach? Not any more. Leinana has got you covered!
One of the things that I love about this book (besides the recipes), is that a LOT of the recipes are gluten-free or can be easily made that way. Especially since that is the way I have to swing (thank you so much gluten-intolerance!). Other than the seitan bacon, the other bacon recipes appear to be gluten-free. So in the recipes you can easily swap the seitan bacon out for a GF one, or use a gluten-free bread, flour or pasta or pizza crust. You get the idea. But if you’re not gluten-free, there’s lots for you too. Hello Bacon Cinnamon RollsPierogi, Apple Fritters and Elvis Cupcakes!
Have you started running to the book store or hitting the buy button on Amazon yet? Well if you need something to keep you busy until the book arrives, Vegan Heritage Press and Leinana are letting me share a recipe with you for one of my all-time favorite sandwiches. They are also letting me give away a copy of this awesome book too (U.S. residents only). So, make sure to leave a comment below about your favorite sandwich on the blog (along with a way to reach you should you win). And then run to the kitchen and make yourself one of these magical BLTs stat!
Disclosure: I received a free review copy of Bacon-Ish from Vegan Heritage Press. No compensation or gift was exchanged for this review, and the love for this book that I posted here, is entirely my own. This post also contains Amazon affiliate links. That means when you buy something through the links (at no cost to you), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your support!Print
This recipe will make any vegan-bacon skeptic a true believer. Because Coconut Bacon will become less crisp the longer you store it, I recommend making it just ahead of preparing your sandwiches.
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- Vegan mayonnaise
- 2 cups Coconut Bacon (see recipe below)
- 1 large ripe tomato, sliced
- Lettuce leaves, washed and patted dry
- Spread each slice of bread with a generous amount of mayonnaise. Top the mayonnaise with about 1/2 cup of the Coconut Bacon per sandwich, followed by slices of tomato and lettuce leaves. Top each sandwich with the remaining bread slices. Cut each sandwich with a serrated bread knife and serve immediately.
This recipe will make any vegan-bacon skeptic a true believer. It is my absolute favorite bacon to use for the best BLTs ever
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 cups unsweetened large-flake coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Whisk the tamari, liquid smoke, water, and maple syrup together in a large bowl. Stir in the coconut and mix well to ensure that the flakes are evenly coated.
- Spread the coconut in an even layer on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 10 minutes, then stir. Bake another 8 minutes, keeping a very close eye on the coconut in the last few minutes. The coconut will go from almost done to completely burned very quickly. Remove from the oven when the coconut flakes on the outer edges of the pan are becoming a deep, dark brown, but not black.
- Place the baking sheet on a cooling rack. The coconut will continue to crisp as it cools. Coconut bacon will keep 1 to 2 weeks in an airtight plastic container, but will become less crisp the longer you store it.